Monday, July 10, 2006

NO WEDDING BLUES

NO WEDDING BLUES

Posted by Picasa This was written for my sister for her wedding. I had just seen "Four Weddings and A Funeral" and completely lost it when I heard the poem "Funeral Blues" by W.H. Auden read by one of the characters.

I switched around some words and came up with my own version for my little sister, Sarah!

Stop all the clocks
Pack Up the stuffed animals and dismantle the balance beam
Alert the press with her megaphone
Throw up the pom-poms with a cheer

A child has grown to be a woman
This woman is my sister
And she's getting married

She is our bright flashlight in the darkness
The youngest of two
She is the truth, the best and the one
The one that we love
The one who has met her perfect match and will make him very happy

She is his east, his west, his north and south
Wherever his sun sets, her moon rises
There is always the laughter, always the dance

So here's to the girl with the blueberry shaped toes
The comb under her chair, the cloth napkin in her lap
Doing a split at the dinner table,
Saying "What did you say?"
Along with her constant questions about seatbelt safety.

Let us all take note,
There are no wedding blues here
No melancholy melodies filling a sad cafe
Just a few words about a wonderful person

That person is my sister
My friend
I'm her biggest fan
And she's getting married


I'm passing you the torch, now run with it.

No comments: