Wednesday, July 12, 2006

TO MY MOTHER

As I sit on the beach, looking out at the clear blue water, I am inspired to create the most wonderful gift for one of my MOST FAVORITE PEOPLE: My Mother!!!

I reach in my beach bag for a pen and paper to write down a few thoughts that lead to a story that tells a tale about a very special person...

She has the kindest voice and a beautiful face to go along with her beautiful heart.

This person REALLY listens, without trying to constantly interject.


Her laugh is like music.

There is nothing like the feeling you get when she laughs at your silly comments and stupid jokes.

She has the best sense of humor.

She is ever so neat, organized and very clever. She is one of the most creative people I know (even though she may not think she is)

She likes anyone who loves to dance as much as she does.

When people meet my mother, they are instantly in love.

They drink her in like a fine wine or an exquisite bottle of Cognac.

She is one word: DIVINE.

But a story is not enough.....I think I will get out my watercolors and paint the most marvelous picture.

In my picture, I will paint a family at the beach. Grandma is in the ocean, swimming in her white flowered bathing cap.

Dad is lounging in a beach chair, rubbing suntan oil on his already tan body,
his watch in his "Docksiders", drinking a bottle of "Pabst Blue Ribbon".

Papa is sitting under the beach umbrella, smoking a "Camel" and admiring his feet (he loves his feet).

He is laughing at my little sister, Sarah who has made a small pool out of her green bucket. She has crammed her "Coppertoned" body into her version of the ocean.

Grandma has just put a white beach hat on Sarah's head because her cheeks have become quite pink.

Ashley is wearing her pink and white halter bathing suit, turning cartwheels in the sand.

She has just yelled to you, that she thinks she sees "Lassie".

You are sitting on a blue raft at the water's edge, watching two seagulls fight for a fish.

In this picture, we are all YOUNG.

Our smiling faces are captured on the canvas, frozen in time.

We are all so unaware of what lies ahead.

In this picture, I have painted life at its best.

But a single picture cannot possibly express what I feel...Perhaps a song would be the right gift. The perfect song, like the perfect dish, must have all the right ingredients.

The song would have a dash of "Jeremiah Bullfrog" ROCK N ROLL, a cup of "Electric Avenue" REGGAE and "Boot Scoot Boogie" WOOGIE, a teaspoon of "Strip Right Down To Your Underwear" DIRTY DANCING, a pinch of authentic VIRGINIA SHAG, just a twist of "Make Me Want to SHOUT", a sliver of "Billy Jean" MOONWALKING, some "Party Train" GROOVE, some "Eli's Comin" GOSPEL and a SOULFUL tablespoon of "Proud Mary". I would top it off with the heart wrenching sounds of "Otis Redding", "Carol King" and "Joan Baez". This song would be served on a silver "Platter" with a cool side of "Pink Floyd".

There are enough stories to fill up a library; enough watercolors to decorate a gallery, a book of laughs to amuse the masses and a list of songs to entertain a party for hours.

As you gaze upon your blazing candles on each of your HAPPY BIRTHDAY cakes, may you be reminded of the WORK OF ART your life has been so far....

I'm So Glad You Were Born!

No comments: