Sunday, September 25, 2011

30 Day Photo Challenge: Something You See Every Day

This picture is a wedding present given to us by my Aunt Frances and my cousins and I treasure it! I look at it every morning, in my kitchen and I am reminded of the amazing story attached to it. This poem was originally stenciled on the walls of a Scottish Castle. When one of my relatives was visiting this castle (I believe her name was Lucy Holladay), she fell in love with the words and wrote them down. She was so inspired that she stenciled this same poem around the foyer of our historic family home, Prospect Hill, in Mineral Virginia. I think it was very uncommon for women back then to get up on ladders and paint, but evidently, she was an extraordinary woman and she had a vision. Our old family home is now "The Littlepage Inn" and is rich with history.



The poem, the story and the history have inspired me to make my own wedding and birthday gifts for my family and friends. My version has a pen and ink live oak tree and the words around it. This truly is the gift that keeps on giving and it all started in a Scottish castle!

No comments: